Gunman Opens Fire at San Diego Mosque, Killing Father of Eight
TL;DR
Two teenage gunmen killed three men at the Islamic Center of San Diego on May 18, 2026, in what police are investigating as a hate crime. Security guard Amin Abdullah, a father of eight, died blocking the attackers from reaching the Al Rashid School inside the complex, where children were safely evacuated. The attack occurred roughly two hours after one suspect's mother called police to report her son missing with three firearms, raising questions about the gap between the warning and the violence.
On the morning of May 18, 2026, two teenagers dressed in camouflage approached the Islamic Center of San Diego—the city's largest mosque—and opened fire, killing three men before they were later found dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds in a nearby car . The attack came roughly two hours after one suspect's mother had called police to report her son missing along with three of her firearms . The shooting killed security guard Amin Abdullah, a father of eight; Mansour Kaziha, who had managed the mosque's store for nearly 40 years; and Nader Awad, who witnesses said shielded others from gunfire .
Police are investigating the attack as a hate crime. Anti-Islamic writings were found in the suspects' vehicle, along with a gas can displaying an SS sticker—a symbol of Nazi Germany's paramilitary forces—and a suicide note containing references to racial pride .
The Timeline: A Two-Hour Gap
At approximately 9:42 a.m. Pacific time, San Diego police received a call from a woman reporting a "runaway juvenile." The caller—the mother of 17-year-old Cain Clark—told dispatchers that her son was missing, her vehicle was gone, and "several of her weapons" were unaccounted for. She said her son was suicidal and believed to be with another person, and that both were dressed in camouflage .
"The information that she was gathering and conveying to us began to elevate the threat level that we were perceiving," Police Chief Scott Wahl said at a news conference . Officers followed leads to a nearby mall and connected Clark to Madison High School, alerting school police. But at 11:43 a.m.—roughly two hours after the initial call—dispatch received reports of an active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the 7000 block of Eckstrom Avenue .
Officers arrived at the mosque within approximately four minutes . When they reached the scene, they found what appeared to be deceased individuals outside the building . By 12:43 p.m., police described the scene as "active but contained." At 1:07 p.m., the threat was declared neutralized .
The two-hour window between the mother's warning and the shooting raises a central question: whether the information conveyed was sufficient, under department protocol, to have identified the mosque or any other specific target as at risk. Chief Wahl acknowledged the escalating nature of the mother's reports but has not publicly addressed whether a broader alert—beyond the school connection—was issued to potential targets in the area .
The Suspects
Law enforcement officials identified the dead gunmen as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18, both from the San Diego area . Clark had been enrolled in the San Diego Unified School District's iHigh Virtual Academy since 2021 and was a member of Madison High School's wrestling team during the 2024–2025 school year. He was scheduled to graduate later in May . Less has been publicly disclosed about Vazquez.
Investigators recovered anti-Islam writings from inside the suspects' vehicle and a suicide note reportedly containing language linked to white supremacist ideology . Authorities are working to determine whether the two acted alone or had connections to extremist groups or online radical networks . No prior known threats against the Islamic Center of San Diego by either suspect have been identified, according to police .
The Victims: What "Heroic" Means in Practice
The word "hero" has been applied broadly to the three men killed, particularly to Amin Abdullah, the mosque's security guard. Chief Wahl said Abdullah's actions were "heroic" and that he "undoubtedly saved lives" . The Islamic Center's leadership was more specific: Abdullah "put himself between the gunmen and everyone inside," preventing the attackers from reaching the Al Rashid School attached to the complex, where children were present during classes .
Abdullah had worked as the mosque's security guard for more than a decade. Sheikh Uthman Ibn Farooq, a local imam, said Abdullah "wanted to defend the innocent, so he decided to become a security guard" . His Facebook profile, with 1,800 followers, showed regular posts about Islam and archery practice; his last post, on May 13, featured a photo of a hawk perched on a mosque minaret .
Mansour Kaziha, described as a community leader who had run the mosque store for nearly four decades, was also killed outside the building . Nader Awad was credited with "turning away community members from the bullets" .
More than a dozen children were escorted from the mosque's parking lot while police vehicles surrounded the area. All teachers, students, and school staff were accounted for and safe . Chief Wahl confirmed: "All of the kids are safe" .
The framing of the three men as heroes is supported by the outcome: no children or other congregants died, despite the presence of an active school during the attack. Whether each man's actions were deliberate tactical decisions or instinctive responses to gunfire is a distinction that may never be fully resolved—but the result was measurable.
The Burden on a Family of Ten
Abdullah leaves behind a wife and eight children. Within 24 hours of the shooting, a fundraiser organized by the Islamic Center of San Diego and the local chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) raised over $1.6 million through LaunchGood, a Muslim-oriented crowdfunding platform .
The fundraising total is substantial but tells only part of the story. No public information has been released about the family's immigration status, whether Abdullah carried life insurance, or what his income was as a mosque security guard—a position that is typically modestly compensated. Federal programs for victims of crime, including those administered through the California Victim Compensation Board, can cover funeral expenses, lost wages, and mental health services, but are capped and often slow to disburse . Whether the family qualifies for any state or federal survivor benefits depends on variables—including citizenship or residency status—that have not been publicly confirmed.
Anti-Muslim Hate: The Statistical Backdrop
The San Diego attack occurred against a backdrop of rising anti-Muslim hostility in the United States. CAIR's 2025 Civil Rights Report, released in March 2026, documented 8,683 complaints of anti-Muslim bias nationwide in 2025—the highest single-year total since the organization began tracking in 1996, and a continuation of a steep upward trend from 8,658 complaints in 2024 and 8,061 in 2023 .
FBI data tells a parallel story through a narrower lens. The Bureau recorded 228 anti-Muslim hate crime incidents in 2024, up from 195 in 2023 and 158 in 2022 . Within the FBI's religious bias category, anti-Muslim incidents trailed only anti-Jewish incidents (1,938) and were followed by anti-Sikh incidents (142) .
California led the nation in CAIR complaints, consistent with its large Muslim population and the state's role as a focal point for both immigration and anti-immigrant sentiment . San Diego-specific data on anti-Muslim hate crimes is not separately published by the FBI or CAIR, making direct metropolitan comparisons difficult.
Mosque Security: The Funding Gap
The primary federal funding mechanism for protecting houses of worship is FEMA's Nonprofit Security Grant Program (NSGP), which provides grants for physical security enhancements—surveillance cameras, access control systems, lighting, fencing, and staff training—to nonprofits assessed as being at high risk of terrorist attack .
In fiscal year 2025, DHS allocated $274.5 million for the program, down from $454.5 million in FY 2024 (which included a one-time $180 million supplement from the National Security Supplemental) . More than 600 faith-based and nonprofit organizations received a share of approximately $110 million in a recent round of awards .
Mosques are explicitly listed as eligible recipients alongside churches, synagogues, and temples . But the application process requires organizations to apply through their State Administrative Agency, and the competitive nature of the program means many applicants are denied. No public data breaks down NSGP awards by denomination, so it is not possible to determine how many San Diego-area mosques have applied, been funded, or been denied. Security assessments conducted as part of the application process are not publicly released, leaving vulnerability gaps largely invisible until an attack occurs.
Federal Prosecution: Enforcement vs. Adequacy
Since January 2017, the Department of Justice has indicted 32 defendants and secured 32 convictions in hate crime cases . Under the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009, the DOJ has used federal hate crime statutes to indict 88 defendants in 42 cases, resulting in 64 convictions .
For attacks specifically targeting houses of worship, the DOJ reported eight indictments and seven convictions as of February 2025 . Sentences in those cases have ranged widely—from relatively short prison terms to life sentences, depending on the severity of the offense and whether fatalities were involved.
These numbers are small relative to the scale of reported incidents. The FBI recorded thousands of hate crime incidents annually, yet federal charges remain rare, with most cases prosecuted at the state level or not prosecuted at all. Critics argue this gap reflects not a shortage of legal tools but a pattern of under-enforcement—particularly for cases that do not result in mass casualties or attract national attention .
In this case, both suspects are dead, which means there will be no criminal trial. The investigative focus will likely shift to whether others were involved and whether the attack could have been prevented.
The Surveillance Tradeoff
The question of whether increased security partnerships between law enforcement and mosques protect Muslim communities or expose them to surveillance is not theoretical. In documents obtained by the ACLU, the FBI's San Francisco field office used a program billed as "mosque outreach" to collect intelligence on the religious views and practices of Muslims in Northern California, then shared that information with other agencies . The program was run out of the Bureau's intelligence division, not its community relations office .
The pattern has deeper roots. After September 11, 2001, FBI Director Robert Mueller instructed field offices nationwide to "count the mosques" and set investigative goals accordingly . Subsequent programs, including the use of undercover informants inside mosques, produced legal challenges that reached the Supreme Court in 2021 .
In San Diego specifically, the Islamic Center has maintained a cooperative relationship with local law enforcement. The mosque employed its own security guard—Abdullah—rather than relying on police patrols. The fact that the mosque's security infrastructure relied on a single guard with no apparent backup raises questions about whether the center had been offered, or had declined, more extensive law enforcement partnerships, and whether the documented history of surveillance makes such partnerships untenable for many Muslim institutions.
CAIR and other Muslim advocacy organizations have argued that these surveillance practices create a chilling effect: community leaders who might otherwise cooperate with law enforcement choose not to, for fear that outreach will be used as a pretext for intelligence collection . This tension is directly relevant to debates about mosque security in the aftermath of the San Diego attack.
What Happens Next
The FBI and San Diego police are conducting a joint investigation into the shooting as a federal hate crime . Investigators are examining the suspects' digital footprints, including social media accounts and any communications that may reveal connections to extremist networks .
For the Islamic Center of San Diego, the immediate concern is physical and psychological. The mosque—which also serves as a school, community center, and gathering place—must now decide how to reopen, what security measures to add, and how to process a trauma inflicted in the place where its community gathers to pray. The more than $1.6 million raised for the victims' families is a measure of public sympathy, but it does not answer the structural questions: how a mother's warning about a suicidal teenager with stolen guns became, two hours later, a mass shooting at a house of worship.
Related Stories
Jewish Communities Heighten Security Across US as Passover Begins Amid Rising Threats
Antisemitic Attacks Rise Sharply Across the US and UK
California Warned of Potential Drone Attacks Amid Iran War
Michigan Synagogue Attack Classified as Hezbollah-Inspired Domestic Terrorism by Federal Officials
Synagogue Attack in Michigan Under Investigation
Sources (16)
- [1]Live updates: San Diego mosque shooting, 3 killed, teen suspects found deadcnn.com
Two teenage gunmen killed three people at the Islamic Center of San Diego, the largest mosque in the city. Both suspects were later found dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
- [2]Mother's call to police sparked urgent search before San Diego mosque shootingwashingtonpost.com
At about 9:42 a.m. local time, police received a call from a mother reporting a runaway juvenile, missing weapons, and a suicidal son dressed in camouflage. The shooting occurred roughly two hours later.
- [3]Victims in San Diego mosque shooting identifiednbcsandiego.com
The three victims were identified as security guard Amin Abdullah, longtime store manager Mansour Kaziha, and Nader Awad, who was credited with shielding others from gunfire.
- [4]Who is Cain Clark? Teen Named Among San Diego Mosque Shooting Suspectsnewsweek.com
Suspects identified as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18. Anti-Islam writings, an SS sticker on a gas can, and a suicide note with racial pride references were found in their vehicle.
- [5]Three victims killed, two suspects dead after shooting at Islamic Center of San Diego10news.com
Officers responded to the active shooter report within approximately four minutes. The scene was contained by 12:43 p.m. and the threat was declared neutralized at 1:07 p.m.
- [6]Teenage suspects in deadly shooting at San Diego mosque identified, sources sayabc7.com
Cain Clark attended the iHigh Virtual Academy since 2021 and was on Madison High School's wrestling team during 2024-2025. He was scheduled to graduate later in May.
- [7]'Heroic' security guard killed protecting children and staff in San Diego mosque shootingnbcnews.com
Police Chief Wahl said Abdullah's actions were heroic and that he undoubtedly saved lives, preventing the suspects from reaching the Al Rashid School attached to the complex.
- [8]Who was Amin Abdullah, the 'hero' guard killed in San Diego shooting?aljazeera.com
Abdullah had worked as a security guard at the Islamic Center for more than a decade. Sheikh Uthman Ibn Farooq said he wanted to defend the innocent. His last Facebook post featured a hawk on a mosque minaret.
- [9]What We Know About the Shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diegotime.com
More than a dozen children were escorted from the mosque parking lot. All teachers, students, and school staff were safely evacuated from the Al Rashid School.
- [10]Fundraiser For Guard Who Thwarted Mosque Shooters Tops $1.6 Million In Under 24 Hoursdailycaller.com
A fundraising campaign organized by the Islamic Center and CAIR raised over $1.6 million on LaunchGood within 24 hours for the families of the victims.
- [11]CAIR's 2025 Civil Rights Report Reveals Islamophobia at an All-Time High Nationwideca.cair.com
CAIR received 8,683 complaints nationwide in 2025, the highest single-year total since tracking began in 1996. California led the nation in complaints.
- [12]FBI reports hate crimes hit 2nd largest record in 2024axios.com
The FBI recorded 228 anti-Muslim hate crime incidents in 2024. Within religious bias crimes, anti-Jewish incidents numbered 1,938 and anti-Sikh 142.
- [13]Nonprofit Security Grant Programfema.gov
FEMA's NSGP provides funding for physical security enhancements to nonprofit organizations at high risk of attack. FY 2025 allocated $274.5 million; FY 2024 allocated $454.5 million.
- [14]Justice Department Update on Hate Crimes Prosecutionsjustice.gov
Since January 2017, DOJ has indicted 32 defendants and secured 32 convictions in hate crime cases. For houses of worship specifically: eight indictments and seven convictions as of February 2025.
- [15]ACLU: FBI 'mosque outreach' program used to spy on Muslimsnbcnews.com
FBI documents showed the San Francisco field office used a mosque outreach program to collect intelligence on religious views and practices of Muslims, running the program from its intelligence division.
- [16]Supreme Court to hear arguments on FBI's surveillance of mosquesnpr.org
After 9/11, FBI Director Mueller instructed field offices to count the mosques and set investigative goals. Subsequent surveillance programs involving informants in mosques produced legal challenges reaching the Supreme Court.
Sign in to dig deeper into this story
Sign In